history of the valley
alpine farming and mining
The settlers cleared forest in order to be able to use meadows for livestock (goats, sheep, cows) and agriculture (potatoes, cereals, flax and beans), which made them economically independent. At that time, life in the mountains was a hard struggle for survival. The mountain meadows were often mowed to an altitude of 2300 m in order to harvest winter fodder.
According to oral tradition, mining was carried out above the village of Boden - at the foot of the Rotkopf - where calamine (zinc ore) and lead were mined. There are also several lime kilns in the valley.
land and avalanches
from pfafflar to boden
Pfafflar reached its population peak in 1840 with about 320 inhabitants. In 1894 the use of Pfafflar as a permanent settlement ended and the last families moved to Boden. Since then, the rustic wooden houses have only been used in summer. However, the alpine pastures in Pfafflar were still managed from spring to late autumn. In the 1950s, a cable elevator was built between Boden and Pfafflar in order to be able to transport material such as hay between the two places. Until then, the people of Boden were forced to constantly ascend and descend for the cultivation of the alpine pastures.
church and road construction
For the "Pfafflarer Tracht" dating from the 19th century, mainly homemade fabrics were used. A distinction was made between a women's and a men's costume, which varied slightly depending on generation and occasion.
Characteristic of the women's costume was the long, white jacket and the high, cylindrical headgear made of radin. In literature, the so-called "kapo" (cap) is described as green-colored. In illustrations, young women are often depicted wearing a stauche - a white sheet wrapped around the head and neck. However, it has been handed down that the Stauche was only worn by older women or women in mourning. The short, wide skirts ("Wiflinge") with sewn-on laced bodice, breast patch and Fürtuch (apron) and the pleated stockings are also striking. The bodice is usually described in treatises as red-colored and decorated with braids.
The men's costume was predominantly white, with an open, coat-like skirt, a light blue shirt, stockings (made of wool in winter, canvas in summer), and breeches tied below the knees with leather straps. This was accompanied by the black, wide-brimmed felt hat and the black "binder" on the collar.
the coat of arms
The coat of arms of the municipality of Pfafflar has existed since 1981. Three golden hay huts are depicted against a green background. The coat of arms symbolizes the name of the municipality, which in its oldest known form is "Pavelaers" and means "at the fodder towns". It reminds of the beginnings of settlement and the three villages Bschlabs, Boden and Pfafflar.